E.W. King

Constructed in 1903 on a hill overlooking downtown Bristol, the Edward Washington King house was listed in the National Historical Register in 1999.  The location of this historic home was once the site of Fort Shelby, an important Revolutionary War era outpost through which countless settlers passed during the westward expansion of the United States.  The house provides an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture and is one of the few remaining homes built at the beginning of the 20th Century in Bristol.  It was constructed by one of Bristol's most prominent, Mr. Edward Washington King. As a respected citizen and philanthropist, Mr. King was praised for his progressive community action and his support of education, and this view was exemplified in the many buildings he blessed Bristol with over the years, both in residential and business structures. This Queen Anne Victorian home incorporated energetic details such as decorative chimneys, molded bricks, and a Renaissance Revival rooftop balustrade. Much of the structure still maintains the original wainscoting, as well as several of the decorative fireplace mantels, stairways, doors and windows. Even renovated, a true value could never be truly obtained when the historical value of this Bristol treasure is factored in.  

Following several years of fundraising efforts in hopes of restoring the house as a museum dedicated to local history and culture, the Bristol Historical Association has decided to sell the property citing the double impact of the economic downturn and sharp increases in construction costs.  The Bristol Historical Association is proud to have been the steward of this historic property and have accomplished its mission of protecting and preserving the E.W. King House.  Additional goals of educating the public about its owner and builder, Edward Washington King, and his tremendous influence on the growth and development of our twin cities have been accomplished through events held for and on the property over the last several years. Now the Association is offering someone else the opportunity to own one of old Bristol's most beautiful and historic properties.  During its 13-year ownership of the King House, the Bristol Historical Association spent over $170,000 to repair, maintain and stabilize the home.  The property has been dried-in with a synthetic slate roof and repointed chimneys to start the renovation to a new era of one of Bristol's premiere homes.

According to Rick Armstrong, noted Bristol real estate broker for the TCI Group - Lowry & Foster, Inc., whomever buys the historic E.W. King Home will purchase more than a striking Victorian-age house with three full floors, rooms that seem endless, 8,000 square feet, a pretty cool view of the city and a listing in the National Historic Register.  “You’re not just buying a labor-of-love renovation project,” Armstrong stated. "You’re buying a part of Bristol, itself. You’re buying a part of its history and soul. And there’s plenty of value in that alone.”

Armstrong is principal broker for the TCI Group – Lowry & Foster Inc., which has been retained by the Bristol Historical Association to help sell the King home.  The home, which provides a picturesque view of Bristol, stands just yards from downtown State Street and offers potential tax credits because of its historic status.  For a confidential showing, call Rick Armstrong at 423-968-7173 or 423-967-9486.

Photographs

E W King House c 1905

E.W. King House

 

LANDMARK LIST

Robert Preston House
E.W. King House
Ernie Ford House
Bristol Depot
Terry / Bonham House
C.C. Minor House
Pleasant Hill
John Nobleton House
I.C. Fowler Home
The Grove
Paramount Theatre
203 Solar Street
116 Solar Street

SHOP AT OUR STORE

We stock a wide variety of Bristol Historical Association gifts such as Books, Pins, Cards, Clothing and Coffee Mugs. Visit Our Store